January Principal Letter
Posted: Jan 14, 2019
Monday, January 14, 2019
JANUARY PRINCIPAL LETTER
Dear Lowry Parents and Guardians,
We hope you are getting back in the routine of school after the winter break! This month, all of our English Language Learners will be completing ACCESS testing. This assessment is very important as it shows us how much our students have grown individually and how much we have grown as a school. It also helps us identify how well we are closing the opportunity gap for our English language learners. The month of January also brings us to the time in the year where we begin planning the budget for the 2019-2020 school year. You will see some updates below about upcoming meetings to discuss and solidify the school budget and programming for next year. As always, we appreciate your ongoing support of Lowry Elementary!
Latest News and Follow-up
Potential Teacher Strike Information
- Please visit greatteachers.dpsk12.org to find all of the latest up-to-date information on Compensation Negotiations with the teachers’ union. There you will have access to the latest ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ updated by DPS. Know that, as a district, we are committed to reaching an agreement. If the teachers’ union does vote to strike, we are also committed to keeping our schools open.
Budget Process and Timeline
- We are beginning to plan our budget for the next school year. Our CSC (Collaborative School Committee) and our leadership committees at Lowry will be meeting this month to make important decisions related to budget and staffing. You can get the latest information from the CSC meeting minutes (posted on our website and hung up outside the community room) and our principal letters. Stay tuned for more information regarding budget decisions in the February Principal Letter.
Bond Money Update
- We have begun the process of getting bids and quotes for the projects selected for the bond money. Last Friday, someone came to take measurements and build a proposal for the climbing wall in the gym! Exciting news, we will get the timeline of projects out once they are determined!
Personnel and Hiring
- Please help us in welcoming our new library paraprofessional, Zahira Saltani! Zahira is TRI-lingual and has already started getting our library organized and back on track. Welcome, Zahira!
- We’d also like to welcome our new ECE paraprofessional in Mr. Paul’s classroom starting late this week, Ms. Tricia Robinson. She is taking over for Ms. Diana, who is moving on from Lowry. We wish you the best in your new adventure, Ms. Diana!
- Last but not least, we want to welcome Mr. Colt Galloway, our new music long-term guest teacher who is here while Mrs. G. is out on leave.
Here’s the latest for the month of January:
- Monday, January 21, 2019
- No School – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Thursday, January 24
- 5:30-6:30 pm — CSC Meeting Topic: Budget – Community Room
- 6:30-7:30 pm — PTO Meeting — Library
- Monday, January 28
- Friday, February 1
- No School for Students, Non-student contact day
3rd – 5th GRADE FAMILIES — Save the Date for CMAS Testing!
CMAS dates at Lowry for Spring 2019 are as follows:
- Tuesday, March 19 (English Language Arts – ELA)
- Wednesday, March 20 (ELA)
- Thursday, March 21 (ELA)
- Tuesday, April 9 (Math)
- Wednesday, April 10 (Math)
- Thursday, April 11 (Math)
- Tuesday, April 16 (5th only – Science)
- Wednesday, April 17 (5th only – Science)
- Thursday, April 18 (5th only – Science)
Wishing you a wonderful January!
Ms. Adrienne Nault Ms. Lindsey Zilverberg
Principal Dean of Culture
Lowry Elementary Lowry Elementary