October Principal Letter
Posted: Oct 01, 2018
Monday, October 1, 2018
OCTOBER PRINCIPAL LETTER
Dear Lowry Parents and Guardians,
Happy Fall! We are enjoying this influx of cooler temperatures, fall colors, and pumpkin spice lattes J Hope you are feeling fall like we are! Here are a few things to be aware of this month:
- Fun Run – October 5
- Don’t forget, our Fun Run is THIS Friday!
- Students can support Lowry by collecting “sponsors” for participating in the Fun Run!
- Consider joining us this Friday for the FUN!
- Schedule for Fun Run:
- 8:55-9:35 – 1st Grade; 9:40-10:20 – 2nd Grade
- 10:25-11:05 – 3rd Grade; 12:30-1:10 – 4th Grade
- 1:15-1:45 – Kinder; 1:45-2:15 – 5th Grade; 2:00-2:30 – ECE
- Family Conferences – October 17 and 18, 3:30-7:30 pm
- Be on the lookout for a sign-up from your child’s teacher for Family Conferences this month.
- 4th grade conferences will be hosted in the library (due to the platooning model)
- Conferences will end promptly at 7:30 each night, so please be aware that we must start and end on time for all conferences.
- Update on Fall Adjustment/Staffing WE ARE HIRING!
- We were up 8 students this year (from our projection) which puts us at a total student population of 487 at Lowry this year, K-5. (524 students ECE-5!)
- Due to the additional funding received, CSC (from the recommendation of leadership) approved hiring 2 additional 7-hour paraprofessionals
- CSC also approved using Aviator Funds to hire an 8-hour library tech. para for Lowry
- Ms. Roselyn Jackson, one of our Kindergarten paras, is leaving our community to pursue other work opportunities. That said, we are also hiring for a 7-hour Kinder para for Mrs. Wilson’s class.
- Please let us know if you have any great candidates for our open paraprofessional positions.
- SPF (School Performance Framework) Update
- Our school performance framework RATING will be released to the Lowry community on Friday, October 12. We will be sending a letter and information about our SPF rating.
- This year’s rating is based on the 2016-17 and 2017-18 school year performance.
- Find out more information about the DPS SPF here: spf.dpsk12.org
- Fill out a Free and Reduced Lunch Form to HELP LOWRY: Applies to ALL Lowry Households
- Please fill out a free and reduced lunch form if you haven’t already!
- Percentage turned in? Approx. 85% Thank you!
- We are still hoping to get to 100% completed – we still need 79 forms!!
- Please contact Ms. Ambroshia if you have questions
- October CSC and PTO Meetings, Thursday, October 25
- CSC 5:30-6:30 Community Room
- PTO 6:30-7:30 Library
- Please join us! Childcare provided!
- Fall Celebration and Costume Parade 10/31 – Afternoon Fun
- Celebrations in classrooms are in the afternoon. See your child’s teacher for information about class celebrations.
- The Annual Lowry Costume Parade will begin at 2:15 pm. We welcome everyone to come out and enjoy this parade around the school!
- After School Enrichment: A Few Facts
- We have 13 enrichment classes running this session.
- We have around 135 students participating in the classes.
- We had a record number of applications for scholarships and were able to fulfill 27 requests!
- A HUGE thank you to Jamie Diamant, our after-school enrichment coordinator!
- G/T (Gifted and Talented) Testing DEADLINE FOR REQUESTING TESTING
- If you are the parent of a 1st, 3rd, 4th, or 5th grader and you are interested in gifted/talented magnet testing, the deadline to nominate your child for testing is Friday, October 12. Please visit https://studentequity.dpsk12.org/gifted-talented/ for all details.
Wishing you a wonderful October!
Ms. Adrienne Nault Ms. Lindsey Zilverberg
Principal Dean of Culture
Lowry Elementary Lowry Elementary